Watches make a treasured gift during the holidays. When shopping for mens’ watches or ladies’ watches, there are a few simple tips to follow:
- Go for an established watch brand. A true watch “manufacturer” that produces their own movements in-house ensures the highest quality. Leading Japanese watch brand SEIKO offers craftsmanship on par with top Swiss companies for a fraction of the price.
- Stainless steel is always a good metal choice. It’s durable, chic and can easily go from day to night. The Coutura Collection from Seiko offers both ladies’ and men’s styles in stainless steel or stainless steel with sophisticated gold-tone accents. Each piece is water resistant to 100 M.
- Guys like gadgets. A chronograph that offers split-measurement capabilities and a big date display will be a hit with any guy. A chronograph has several sub-dials on the watch, so even if he does not use the functions, he’ll still look cool with his high-tech timepiece. Look for dramatic colored dials — the deep blue dial of the Coutura Chronograph adds a modern edge. A smart buy at $475.
- Buy from an authorized watch dealer. If that Internet deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. If you buy from your local jeweler or a well-known department store you will get hands-on service — and you can be sure that the watch warranty will be honored by the manufacturer, in case you ever need it serviced.
- Look for retailers near you online. Most watch brands offer a retail locator on their websites, and you can usually find a retailer close to home.